Saturday, May 21, 2011

FINALS- Sculpture- Scream, Beautiful Dragon-Like Honeybee, Whale Tail, Coral

Scream
painted clay
 ~12 inches tall
 Continuing with my first project for Sculpture 1.  I added a little bit or red to the cheeks and ears and darkened the shirt.  
Scream was created from Amaco Self Hardening gray and white clay.  An additive technique was used to build up the forms of the sculpture.  The texture was created through the natural building and molding of the clay with my hands and with the tools. The size is just about life-size and the contrast is created from the deeper areas of the face and through the use of color.  The colors and expression were inspired from Edvard Munch's painting The Scream.        The eye is drawn through the piece by the line of the shirt. Also by the details that surround the piece like the ears on the sides of the head and the facial features.

The intention of Scream was to create a life size 3 dimensional portrait of Edvard Munch's The Scream.  My goal was to capture the facial expression but to make it more true to life.
I feel the strength is in the subtle and transparent colors.  Some of the modeling of the facial features could have been done better but as a whole the piece has a good consistent style.  If I was to redo this piece I would probably go a bit more abstract with it and stay more true to my inspiration.  I would elongate the forms more to give it more emotion.  Overall I think it is a successful piece.

Beautiful Dragon Like Honeybee
 bronze
 ~ 8 inches
 For Sculpture 1.  Beautiful Dragon-Like Honeybee is made out of bronze.  To create this piece I first sculpted my idea out of wax.  That sculpture was then sent to a foundry to be cast into bronze. My main tool for creating the wax sculpture was my hands.  I loved playing with and molding the wax.  The smaller details were done with pointed tools.  The color was created by dipping the sculpture into a cold patina (Liver of Sulfer) bath.  Once I achieved the darkness I desired I wiped off excess patina to create highlights.  The size is larger then life and the contrast if from the dark areas of the patina and the light areas of the highlights. 
The eye is drawn through and around the piece by all of the different lines.  There are the stamens in the center that bring the eye into the flower and then the petals that originate from the center and grow out and curl under.  The presence of the Dragon-Like Honeybee give the eye a place to rest and also creates an area of interest.

The intention of the piece is to bring to life an abstract idea.  Dragon-Like Honeybees do not exist so I created one.  Then I wanted to give the bee a setting and to tie in the word "beautiful" so I created a flower for him to rest on.  This piece is meant to be beautiful but odd.
I think the strengths are in the forms of the flower.  The stamens turned out well and I love the texture on the petals.  The bee could use a little work.  The legs nor the wings cast the way I would have liked but I do believe there in beauty in those imperfections.  Next time I would maybe not included the bee or spend more time working out the structure of his wings and legs.

 Whale Tail
clay
 ~ 12 inches
The sculpture Whale Tail was created from Amaco Self Hardening Clay. The main tool used to build this sculpture was my hands. The scale is much smaller then life size.  The texture was created through the way I applied the color.  The color was created through a series of poured washes.  The splatters were a way to add contrast to all of the drips. Contrast is also in the lights and the darks of the color.
The eye is drawn through the piece but the color drips and the lines of the tail.  The backbone juts up into the piece and the the fins move out from there.

The intention of the piece was to create a visual representation of a poem I wrote about my husbands and my courtship, our personal myth.  In that poem I describe the place where our friendship became love and wanted to represent that place through sculpture. 
I think the strength is in the painting.  I love the different layers of color and how they create movement.  A weakness would be the fins and how fragile they are.  They broke on me 4 different times.  Next time I would probably try to make the fins thicker so that they would not break so easily.

Coral
plaster carving
approx 10 inches
Coral is an abstracted idea of what coral is created from plaster. The tools used were a hammer, a chisel, a surform, a metal scraper, a dremel tool, and a power drill.  The texture of the piece is smooth on the "front" and textured on the "back."  This texture was created but taking a pointed tool and dragging it across the surface. There is also the texture if the holes that was created by drilling into the sculpture.  The process began with a block of plaster and then I used a subtractive technique to chisel away at the plaster to create my desired form.  The color is the white of the plaster with a little bit of yellow dye mixed in.  The sculpture is about 8 inches tall.  Contrast is created in the smooth surface of the front and the textured surface of the back.  Also there is contrast created by the holes and the directions of the forms.
 The eye is drawn through Coral by the lines of the forms.  The right form moves left and back while the middle form comes forward and the left form creates a nice flowing s-shape.  The sculpture has a different view form every angle.

The intent of this piece was to create a simplification or a representation of something from the natural world.  Coral is an amazing organism that sustains so much life and comes in so many different shapes, sizes and colors.  
The biggest strength of Coral is the holes.  They create so much interest and texture.  This piece would be very different without the holes.  I think I could have made some of the forms a little but stronger.  Next time I would spend more time working on the shapes of the coral forms.  
 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...