Sunday, June 12, 2011

WIP- Jessica and Baby Evelyn, Ephemeral Sculpture

Jessica and Baby Evelyn WIP
watercolor on paper
  16 x 20
As a Mother's Day present I was commissioned to do a portrait of our friends wife and baby daughter.  I begin my Summer Semester at Academy of Art very soon and I want to have this done before school starts.  This is just the first step.  I have sketched in the figures and began laying in the big color areas.  The key to this piece will be layers.  The more layers I have the deeper and more dynamic the colors will be.  

Ephemeral Sculpture

e·phem·er·al[ih-fem-er-uhl] –adjective 

1.lasting a very short time; short-lived; transitory: the ephemeral joys of childhood.
 
I have been trying to figure out what to do with my sculpture I created for Sculpture 1.  They are all pretty large and the take up too much room in my too small studio.  I have always liked the idea that art is ephemeral so I wanted to explore this idea with my sculptures.  They will now be living in my garden.  I am excited to see what happens to them over time, especially the clay as it is self-hardening clay and has not been fired.  If anything super interesting happens I will post it here. 


Questions: What do you think of the idea of ephemeral art?  Are you excited for summer??

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...