Thursday, September 22, 2011

Quick Studies- Male Profile, Kettle Corn Cook

Male Profile &
Kettle Corn Cook
9x12
acrylic on board
Yes you read that right.  These were done in acrylic.  I have not done a painting in acrylic in years.  The smell of oil paints really bothers me so I decided to try my hand at acrylic.  It is definatly a new experience.  They really dry much much quicker and they also mix differently.  Not bad just different. 

I have been reading Kevin Macpherson's book Fill Your Oil Paintings With Light and Color and it helped to inspire these paintings.  In his book he talks about using a limited palette of Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Light, Aliziran Crimson, and Ultramarine Blue so I used only those colors to create these paintings.  It was a challenge but it was also exciting.  Using a limited palette really challenges you to get creative in your color mixing.   I think I will probably be experimenting with acrylic in the future. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...