Monday, November 7, 2011

Cloud Studies & Fall Back

 12 x 9
acrylic on board
30 minutes
 11 x 14
acrylic on board 
45-60 minutes
Cloud studies done with a palette knife.
We have had some rain this past week and with the rain comes very beautiful clouds. I was inspired. 
In my Still Life 2 class one of my classmates has been using a palette knife.  I thought I would give it a go and see how it worked for these quick studies.  I think it was pretty successful and I had fun.  

 Fall Back  
12 x 9
watercolor on illustration board
For Still Life 2.  Previously called Autumn.  You can see the grisaille/ underpainting here. In honor of the recent time change I am calling this Fall Back :)   
I think the colors turned out wonderfully.  I really enjoyed the process.  Grisaille really lends itself to watercolor.  If you get the values down correctly it just becomes a paint by number :) I find it very helpful to map out the values first as it makes me slow down and really think about them.  In watercolor the biggest difficulty for me is not going dark enough and the grisaille helps me to get my darks nice and dark.  This is a technique I will be using again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...